-   -   creating a variable for file names (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/142370-creating-variable-file-names.html)

BEAST

creating a variable for file names

I am trying to create a file called x.xls where in x=cell A1
for example if in cell A1 the value is help
then the file name is help.xls
why?
I have a working vlookup formula =VLOOKUP(x.xls!NUM,x.xls!table,2)
this retreives values from a table in document x.xls
I want to put different values for "x" in cell A1
in order to always feed a form that I made from different copies of the
original x file x1,x2,x3 ets
it a toughy :(
thanks for reading
thanks

papou

creating a variable for file names

Hello
Use INDIRECT in your formula :
=VLOOKUP(INDIRECT(A1 & "!NUM"),INDIRECT(A1 & "!table"),2)

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"BEAST" a écrit dans le message de news:
I am trying to create a file called x.xls where in x=cell A1
for example if in cell A1 the value is help
then the file name is help.xls
why?
I have a working vlookup formula =VLOOKUP(x.xls!NUM,x.xls!table,2)
this retreives values from a table in document x.xls
I want to put different values for "x" in cell A1
in order to always feed a form that I made from different copies of the
original x file x1,x2,x3 ets
it a toughy :(
thanks for reading
thanks

BEAST

creating a variable for file names

thanks papou this works great you're the best!