-   -   Select criteria based on date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/142169-select-criteria-based-date.html)

N85DZ

Select criteria based on date

I am a pilot. I am using Excel to create a digital logbook to keep track of
everything for me. I am looking for a way to have excel tell me what class
of medical I currently hold. Pilot medicals come in three types first class,
second class, and third class. First class is active for 6 months after
examination, second class is active for 2 years after examination (1yr
6months after first expires), and third class is active for 3 years after
examination (2yrs 6months after first expires, 1yr after second expires). Is
there any way to have excel automatically tell me which type of medical I
hold?

loudfish

On 9 May, 21:42, N85DZ wrote:
Is there any way to have excel automatically tell me which type of medical I

hold?

Not sure if I've understood your requirements properly, but here's a
solution of sorts.

In cell:

A1 enter date of your last 1st class exam
A2 enter date of your last 2nd class exam
A3 enter date of your last 3rd class exam

B1 enter =A1+180
B2 enter =A2+730
B3 enter =A3+

C1 enter =IF(B1TODAY(),"VALID","EXPIRED")
C2 enter =IF(B2TODAY(),"VALID","EXPIRED")
C3 enter =IF(B3TODAY(),"VALID","EXPIRED")

HTH

Andrew

N85DZ

Select criteria based on date

Not quite what I am looking for, thank you though. I want it to return First, Second, or Third in one cell. Also, I think the dates should be something like,

(exam on 1/4/07)
1/4/07 to 6/31/07 - return first
7/1/07 to 1/31/09 - return second
2/1/09 to 1/31/10 - return third