-   -   Data Source Default (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/141958-data-source-default.html)

Martin

Data Source Default

When I use the Data/Import External Data/Import Data menu options to import
data, Excel defaults to a folder called My Data Sources. Since I do not
store the files there (not to mention I do not even know where that folder is
located), I would like to change Excel to default to another drive/folder
location. Can someone ttell me how to change this?

Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Data Source Default

Martin

I wanted to do this also. Following are the steps I took.

I went into the registry and changed the folder name from My Data Sources to
hoohah.

Excel found hoohah in My Documents when I asked to Import Data.

I then moved hoohah out of My Documents to GordStuff folder.

When I went to DataImport etc. Excel re-built hoohah in My Documents but any
queries I created were not there, they stayed with the moved folder.

Tried several times with differing names, but Excel or Windows re-builds the
folder in My Documents no matter what it is named.

And sticks the default MS Queries like the Stock Quotes and Money Central into
that folder.

With TweakUI you can change the location of Special Folders like My Documents
if you wish, but when I do, My Data Sources goes with it so not much point.

In short.......forget about it.

Add the folder where your sources and queries are stored to the My Places bar.

When My Data Sources opens, click on the folder name on My Places bar.

Makes browsing a lot quicker.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:13:01 -0700, Martin
wrote:

When I use the Data/Import External Data/Import Data menu options to import
data, Excel defaults to a folder called My Data Sources. Since I do not
store the files there (not to mention I do not even know where that folder is
located), I would like to change Excel to default to another drive/folder
location. Can someone ttell me how to change this?

Thanks.

Martin

Data Source Default

Thanks for the reply.

I ran into this problem last year and, if my memory is right, the solution
was to use some menu function of Excel or Office and change the default.
Unfortunately, I did not save the instructions prior to my machine getting
re-installed. I tried searching the various groups but my searches did not
seem to return anything prior to Jan 2007.

I guess this is another way Microsoft is controlling how I use my PC.