-   -   Decimal point (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/141573-decimal-point.html)

Jock

Decimal point

How can I force Excel to recognise and display as different values 1.1 and
1.10? Formatting to two decimal places makes both 1.10 as does using the
general format.
--
tia

Jock

David Biddulph[_2_]

Decimal point

You'd have to enter at least one as text. If they are numbers, Excel
recognises them as the same, so reformatting is too late, as the formatting
is applied to the already-stored number.
--
David Biddulph

"Jock" wrote in message
How can I force Excel to recognise and display as different values 1.1 and
1.10? Formatting to two decimal places makes both 1.10 as does using the
general format.
--
tia

Jock

Dom_Ciccone

Decimal point

Only way I know of for this is to format the cell as Text. You can then
enter 1.1 and 1.10 and they will remain that way.

"Jock" wrote:

How can I force Excel to recognise and display as different values 1.1 and
1.10? Formatting to two decimal places makes both 1.10 as does using the
general format.
--
tia

Jock

Jock

Decimal point

Thanks to David and Dom
--
tia

Jock

"Jock" wrote:

How can I force Excel to recognise and display as different values 1.1 and
1.10? Formatting to two decimal places makes both 1.10 as does using the
general format.
--
tia

Jock

Dave Peterson

Decimal point

As long as you let excel see those values as numbers, excel will always "treat"
them as the same number.

If you want 1.1 to be a different value than 1.10, you may want to force excel
to see them as text.

You can either start your data entry with an apostrophe: '1.10
or you can PRE-Format the cell as text (format|Cells|number tab), then do the
data entry.

ps. If you're doing this so that you can use it for an outline (maybe sort by
this field), don't use 1.1, use 1.01 (still text though).