Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping in Pivot Table

Hi,

Any suggestions on how to group data on the axes for a pivot table. I have
a pivot chart where I want to show the activity for my grocery shopping by
the month. I select the sum amount of each product as the main field, on the
y axis is the amount in currency, and the x axis is the date and the x axis
data series is the product. I want to group the date so that it would show
by the month spending but when I select group I get a error message that
cannot group this selection

Please advise.
--
Best Regards,
EM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There may be blank cells in the date column in the source data, and that
is causing the error. There's a bit more information he

E Moorhead wrote:
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to group data on the axes for a pivot table. I have
a pivot chart where I want to show the activity for my grocery shopping by
the month. I select the sum amount of each product as the main field, on the
y axis is the amount in currency, and the x axis is the date and the x axis
data series is the product. I want to group the date so that it would show
by the month spending but when I select group I get a error message that
cannot group this selection

Please advise.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your response.

I removed the blank data and followed your website instructions and that
didn't work. I get the error message that this selection cannot be grouped.

Best Regards,
EM

E Moorhead wrote:
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to group data on the axes for a pivot table. I have
a pivot chart where I want to show the activity for my grocery shopping by
the month. I select the sum amount of each product as the main field, on the
y axis is the amount in currency, and the x axis is the date and the x axis
data series is the product. I want to group the date so that it would show
by the month spending but when I select group I get a error message that
cannot group this selection

Please advise.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Make sure that Date is in a Row area before you try to Group.
If Date happened to be in a Page area, you would also get that message.
Also, in addition to Debra saying ensure you have no blanks, do ensure
that all dates in the range are valid Excel dates, and not Text
representations of Date.

--
Regards

Roger Govier