-   -   "Shared Workbook" seems to deactivate features like macros (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/141033-shared-workbook-seems-deactivate-features-like-macros.html)

Steve

"Shared Workbook" seems to deactivate features like macros

Basically I want to be able to track changes (which requires shared workbook)
and still use macros (which seems to be switched off ). Is there an
alternative or a way around the problem (EXcel 2003)

Also can you tell me how to change the keystroke designation for a macro so
that it actually sticks? (I've tried to do so under macros, options but it
doesn't stay in there - keeps changing back to the original keystroke)

Jan Karel Pieterse

"Shared Workbook" seems to deactivate features like macros

Hi Steve,

Basically I want to be able to track changes (which requires shared workbook)
and still use macros (which seems to be switched off ). Is there an
alternative or a way around the problem (EXcel 2003)

If your workbook is to be shared amongst multiple users, DON'T! This is an
unreliable feature.

Also can you tell me how to change the keystroke designation for a macro so
that it actually sticks? (I've tried to do so under macros, options but it
doesn't stay in there - keeps changing back to the original keystroke)

It should stay put. Are you sure there is no VBA code that changes that key
designation?

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com

Steve

"Shared Workbook" seems to deactivate features like macros

Hi Jan.Thanks for your reply. No I don't want to actually share the workbook
with anyone but it seems I need to select this for tracked changes to work (
have no idea why)
I think I figured out the macro -I must have neglected to hit save

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi Steve,

[...]

Gord Dibben

"Shared Workbook" seems to deactivate features like macros

Macros can still be used on shared workbooks.

You cannot Write, record, change, view, or assign macros.

You can run existing macros that don't access unavailable features. You can
record shared workbook operations into a macro stored in another nonshared
workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP