-   -   keeping text color format in a list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/141021-keeping-text-color-format-list.html)

Strike Eagle Loader

keeping text color format in a list

I've created a list and I want to keep the text color format. I have a list
of 100 items. 25 have blue text, 25 red, 25 yellow, and 25 green. I created
a list if these text items. When I select the cell I want to insert a list
(though DataValidation) all my list items are the default black text.

How can I keep the colors in the list?

Thanks,

Chris

Dave Peterson

keeping text color format in a list

Data|Validation won't let you bring colors back. (Samething with a formula,
too.)

But since you're only using 4 colors, could you use Format|Conditional
formatting to change the color? You could use 3 colors via Format|Conditional
formatting and then the normal color for the 4th.

I'd add a helper column adjacent to the list column.

Say the list is in Sheet2 in A1:A100
I'd insert (and hide???) a new column B that contained the color that I wanted.

Red
Blue
Yellow
Green

Then give those two columns a nice range name (insert|Name|define, call it
myTable).

Then you could set the color of the cell with the data|validation to always show
a green font (default).

But add 3 conditions under Format|conditional formatting.

Say A1 is the cell with Data|Validation
Formula is:
=(vlookup(a1,mytable,2,false)="red")
and format it red

Then add 2 more conditions with similar rules.

If you upgrade to xl2007, the number of conditional formatting rules is 64 (I
think).

--

Dave Peterson