-   -   Date Entry (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/140891-date-entry.html)

Daniel L. Lieberman

Date Entry

Excel 2007, Vista Business, US English.

I was able to use Ctrl+; with cells formatted dd/mmm in Excel 2003 and the
result was e.go. 14/May.

Now with similar cell formatting I get 14/5/2007 when I use the Ctrl+;

Does anyone know what is going on?
TIA

David McRitchie

Date Entry

Hi Daniel,
The difference is your cell formatting before using Ctrl+;
The 14/May would have a cell format of dd/mmm
but the 14/5/2007 probably had a default cell format
of General the entry is a date so it used your
short regional date format the probably looks like d/m/yyyy
in your Control Panel, Dates

For more information on Date and Time see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel