-   -   Why input range contains non-numeric data? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/140110-why-input-range-contains-non-numeric-data.html)

Nickman

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Why input range contains non-numeric data?

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with a regression analysis in Excel. The error message you're receiving indicates that there is non-numeric data in the range you've selected for your analysis. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:
  1. Double-check your data range: Make sure that the range you've selected for your analysis only contains numeric data. If there are any cells that contain text or other non-numeric characters, this could be causing the error message.
  2. Check for hidden characters: Sometimes, even if a cell appears to only contain numeric data, there may be hidden characters or formatting that is causing the issue. To check for hidden characters, select the range of data and go to the "Home" tab in the Excel ribbon. Click on the "Clear" dropdown menu and select "Clear Formats." This will remove any hidden formatting that may be causing the issue.
  3. Use the
    Code:

    ISNUMBER
    function: Another way to check for non-numeric data is to use the
    Code:

    ISNUMBER
    function. This function will return "TRUE" if a cell contains a number and "FALSE" if it does not. You can use this function to create a new column next to your data and then filter for any cells that return "FALSE."
  4. Check for blank cells: Finally, make sure that there are no blank cells within your data range. If there are any blank cells, this could be causing the error message. You can either fill in the blank cells with a value or exclude them from your analysis.

I hope these tips help you troubleshoot the issue and get your regression analysis up and running!

Mark Lincoln

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

Nickman

"Mark Lincoln" wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.

Jerry W. Lewis

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

Reformatting a cell does not change the value in the cell, it merely changes
the display of that value. In particular applying a numeric format will not
change text into a number. Copy an empty cell, select the input range, and
Edit|Paste Special|Add to coerce the values into numbers.

To identify which cell(s) is(are) text,
Format|Cells|Alignment|Horizontal|General. Text will be left justified while
numbers will be right justified. Alternately COUNT() only counts numbers.

Jerry

"Nickman" wrote:

"Mark Lincoln" wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.

Gunnar Lysaker

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

If all your data look like numbers and still you have a problem. Excel need
to calculate with them to understand that its numbers. Try to write 1 into a
cell and Copy-Paste Special and multiply all the data. Then, it should work.
Alternatively you can hit F2 in every single cell. Same idea.
Gunnar

"Nickman" wrote:

"Mark Lincoln" wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.

Mark Lincoln

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

Numbers formatted as text have to be converted back to numbers.
Create a range of cells in the same shape as the problem data cells,
each of which contains a 1. Then Copy this range, select the top-left
cell of the problem data range, select Paste Special from the Edit
menu, click on the Multiply button in the Operations section of the
Paste Special dialog, then click OK. Your numbers will now be treated
as numbers by Excel.

Mark Lincoln

On Apr 24, 1:18 am, Nickman wrote:
"Mark Lincoln" wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.- Hide quoted text -

Nickman

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

Ok, so I copied and pasted special with a blank box and a bunch of random
numbers in my columns went right justified while most stayed left. But that
didn't fix anything. Then I tried all of the other suggestions and still
nothing it working. I still have random numbers sitting on the right and
cant do any data analysis. This is getting frustrating.

Nickman

"Mark Lincoln" wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.- Hide quoted text -

Gunnar Lysaker

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

I think you might have space infront or behind some of your data. Use F2 in
some of the cells to make sure that there not are any "odd characters"
unvisible.
You can check this easy also by using =Left(b1,6) where 6 is numbers of
characters
you want to extract.
This formatting problems is very irritating in Excel. Numbers are not always
calculatable(if thats a word) even if its seems like it.
Good luck
G.

"Mark Lincoln" wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.- Hide quoted text -

Renee Judd

Why input range contains non-numeric data?

This worked for me, copying my cells that should have been numeric but didn't act like it, and pasting special as values into a new sheet.
"Nickman" wrote:
"Mark Lincoln" wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.

Madison Irby

"Nickman" wrote:
"Mark Lincoln" wrote:

On Apr 23, 9:06 pm, Nickman wrote:
When I try to do a regression analysis on my data, a box pops up saying there
is non-numerica data for the input. However, I cant find any within my data
sheet.

Are some of the cells formatted as text? Or entered with a leading
apostrophe (which amounts to the same thing)?

Mark Lincoln

I selected all of the data and then formatted the cells as numbered. And as far as apostrophes go I cant find any. But the problem still persists.
Thank you Jerry.