-   -   How do I create a list of sequential numbers in Excel 2003? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/139817-how-do-i-create-list-sequential-numbers-excel-2003-a.html)

kateinmo

How do I create a list of sequential numbers in Excel 2003?

I need to print on 3 x 5 cards columns of sequential numbers. I have set up a
print area so that the columns fit neatly on the card. It's a pain to type
the numbers in manually, but they do not exist in a database. Is there a
formula for typing in the first number in the top left cell and the ending
number in the bottom right cell, and the program automatically filling in the
columns with the correct numbers? Even if it can be done only one column at a
time, it would be a huge help.
--
kateinmo

MyVeryOwnSelf

How do I create a list of sequential numbers in Excel 2003?

I need to print on 3 x 5 cards columns of sequential numbers. I have
set up a print area so that the columns fit neatly on the card. It's a
pain to type the numbers in manually, but they do not exist in a
database. Is there a formula for typing in the first number in the top
left cell and the ending number in the bottom right cell, and the
program automatically filling in the columns with the correct numbers?

Maybe something like the csv file below would help.

Notice that if all the numbers are sequential integers only the first need
be typed in.

--------------- cut here --------------
95014,=A1+10,=B1+10,=C1+10,=D1+10
=A1+1,=A2+10,=B2+10,=C2+10,=D2+10
=A2+1,=A3+10,=B3+10,=C3+10,=D3+10
=A3+1,=A4+10,=B4+10,=C4+10,=D4+10
=A4+1,=A5+10,=B5+10,=C5+10,=D5+10
=A5+1,=A6+10,=B6+10,=C6+10,=D6+10
=A6+1,=A7+10,=B7+10,=C7+10,=D7+10
=A7+1,=A8+10,=B8+10,=C8+10,=D8+10
=A8+1,=A9+10,=B9+10,=C9+10,=D9+10
=A9+1,=A10+10,=B10+10,=C10+10,=D10+10

Max

How do I create a list of sequential numbers in Excel 2003?

Another formulas option to play with ..

Assume the 3x5 grid is in B2:D6,
and the starting number for the grid will be input in B1

Place in B2:
=IF($B$1="","",$B$1+ROW(A1)*3-3+MOD(COLUMN(A1)-1,3))
Copy B2 across to D2, fill down to D6.

Test it out by inputting a start number say, 100 into B1.
You'd get the required results in B2:D6, ie:

100 101 102
103 104 105
106 107 108
109 110 111
112 113 114

--
Max
Singapore
"kateinmo" wrote:
I need to print on 3 x 5 cards columns of sequential numbers. I have set up a
print area so that the columns fit neatly on the card. It's a pain to type
the numbers in manually, but they do not exist in a database. Is there a
formula for typing in the first number in the top left cell and the ending
number in the bottom right cell, and the program automatically filling in the
columns with the correct numbers? Even if it can be done only one column at a
time, it would be a huge help.
--
kateinmo

kateinmo

How do I create a list of sequential numbers in Excel 2003?

Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm more clear headed. Almost 1 a.m.
is not the time to start learning a new procedure!
--
kateinmo

"MyVeryOwnSelf" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll try this solution, too, tomorrow. My brain doesn't learn new
techniques at 1 a.m.!
--
kateinmo