-   -   Excel reduces fractions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/139456-excel-reduces-fractions.html)

Traci P.

Excel reduces fractions

I am trying to enter fractions to represent a quantity of months of the year
(i.e., 2/12, 3/12, etc.) for a calculation. Excel insists on reducing these
to their lowest terms (1/6, 1/4, etc.). Can I prevent this?

James O[_2_]

Excel reduces fractions

Go to costumize cells and the to custom and enter this # ?/12 The bottom
number of the fraction will always be 12

"Traci P." wrote:

I am trying to enter fractions to represent a quantity of months of the year
(i.e., 2/12, 3/12, etc.) for a calculation. Excel insists on reducing these
to their lowest terms (1/6, 1/4, etc.). Can I prevent this?

Traci P.[_2_]

Excel reduces fractions

I had already done that, just didn't know if there was something else that
was already there to use.

Thanks.

"Traci P." wrote:

I am trying to enter fractions to represent a quantity of months of the year
(i.e., 2/12, 3/12, etc.) for a calculation. Excel insists on reducing these
to their lowest terms (1/6, 1/4, etc.). Can I prevent this?

Ron Rosenfeld

Excel reduces fractions

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:36:00 -0700, Traci P.
wrote:

I had already done that, just didn't know if there was something else that
was already there to use.

Your response leads me to believe that what you did is not having the desired
effect. Is that the case or are you looking for something else?

What James described does work.
--ron