Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping DATES in a pivot tables

In the past I've imported 3rd party data via ODBC into a pivot table ('SS1')
& have successfully grouped the DATE field into columns eg: Jan, Feb etc.
However I now need to add on intermediate spreadsheet ('SS2') to rearrange
the data from SS1 and convert text fields into values etc. I want to produce
a revised pivot from SS2. My problem is that the DATE record from SS1 now
appears as a date/time record in SS2 and will no longer group. I've tried all
sorts of formating etc but still get the "can't group that selection"
message. Any ideas? Many thanks.
--
Peter
London, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It must be text, try this

=ISTEXT(x)

where x is a cell with these date/time values

if it returns TRUE it is text and you cannot group text,
if you copy an empty cell (formatted as dates), select the values and do
editpaste special and select add it should convert it to dates

Peo Sjoblom