-   -   Unwanted formula being copied to cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/139243-unwanted-formula-being-copied-cell.html)

Gene

Unwanted formula being copied to cell

We have a Commissions spreadsheet that was created in Excel 97. We recently
upgraded to Excel 2003. There are a couple of rows in the worksheet that
when data is entered into a cell and enter or tab is keyed an unwanted
formula is copied to a different cell.

Specifically: data is entered into cell M1229 (there is no formula there
only a total for the colum in the cell underneath) in cell N1229 there is a
formula =SUM(M1229*0.1) and this is fine. But in cell O1229 where there
should be nothing, the formula from O1228 gets copied into that cell
=SUM(M1228*1).

Why is this happenening and is there anything I can do to not make this
happen? Thank you for any help.

Peo Sjoblom

Unwanted formula being copied to cell

Look under toolsoptionsedit, it might be the "Extend data range and
formulas" that spooks you? Try deselecting it.

Peo Sjoblom

"Gene" wrote in message
We have a Commissions spreadsheet that was created in Excel 97. We
recently
upgraded to Excel 2003. There are a couple of rows in the worksheet that
when data is entered into a cell and enter or tab is keyed an unwanted
formula is copied to a different cell.

Specifically: data is entered into cell M1229 (there is no formula there
only a total for the colum in the cell underneath) in cell N1229 there is
formula =SUM(M1229*0.1) and this is fine. But in cell O1229 where there
should be nothing, the formula from O1228 gets copied into that cell
=SUM(M1228*1).

Why is this happenening and is there anything I can do to not make this
happen? Thank you for any help.

Gene

Unwanted formula being copied to cell

Thanks, I am waiting to here back from the spreadsheet user to see if this is
our fix.

"Gene" wrote in message
We have a Commissions spreadsheet that was created in Excel 97. We
recently
upgraded to Excel 2003. There are a couple of rows in the worksheet that
when data is entered into a cell and enter or tab is keyed an unwanted
formula is copied to a different cell.

Specifically: data is entered into cell M1229 (there is no formula there
only a total for the colum in the cell underneath) in cell N1229 there is
formula =SUM(M1229*0.1) and this is fine. But in cell O1229 where there
should be nothing, the formula from O1228 gets copied into that cell
=SUM(M1228*1).

Why is this happenening and is there anything I can do to not make this
happen? Thank you for any help.

Gene

Unwanted formula being copied to cell

It did work. Thank you so much for your prompt reply.