-   -   Validation When Saving File (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/138807-validation-when-saving-file.html)

KFitz

Validation When Saving File

Would like to create an "alert" when saving a file to remind me to check the
data in two fields on the the spreadsheet. One field is for the System
Height and the other field is for the base board height.

Is there a way where I could enter a "y" in a cell for "Checked Base Board
Height" - and if there is no "y" entered in that cell I would get the "alert"
when I try to save/close the file

Appreciate any help/direction you can give.

Keven

Dave Peterson

Validation When Saving File

I find using a formula (in an adjacent cell????) that checks my rules works well
for me.

In fact, sometimes I create an additional worksheet that just displays any
possible errors:

=if(sheet1!a1="y","Ok","Error: Please check base board height")

=if(and(sheet1!a2="no",sheet1!a3<""),
"Error: If you answer No, then don't answer the quantity question","ok")

This way, I can keep adding rules for my common mistakes.

And I can add a total of errors/warnings with formulas like:
=countif(a3:A99,"Error*")
=countif(a3:a99,"Warning*")

======
ps. I'd name those cells that need checking so that the formulas make more
sense when updating.

=if(CheckBBHeight="y","ok","Please check base board height")

--

Dave Peterson