-   -   Relative vs. Absolute Path Names for linked cell data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/138632-relative-vs-absolute-path-names-linked-cell-data.html)

Chef Sandra

Relative vs. Absolute Path Names for linked cell data

I need to manage information in several Excel files, located in several
folders. I link information from one file's cell to another using the
AutoSum, clicking on a different Excel file and into the field that contains
the data I want to link to. This all works great until I copy the file onto
another computer whose file structure for folders is similar, but not exact.
What I need is relative path names (rather than absolute path names), i.e.

=SUM('[..\PURCHASING\[BOH 2007InvoiceLaborTracking.xls]March'!$S$32)

vs.

=SUM('C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My
Documents\BOH\PURCHASING\[BOH 2007InvoiceLaborTracking.xls]March'!$S$32)

--
Sandra Heuckroth
Executive Chef