-   -   Data matching (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/138621-data-matching.html)

Kordasn

Data matching

Hello, this is my first time here, I am looking for some help with data
matching.

I have a list of numbers (they happen to be 6 digits) and they correspond to
other numbers, but more importantly, I have another sheet with a key of those
numbers, which correspond to strings.

In case you're wondering why, I have to align the matches in the first list
so that it can be formatted into another string command parsed with the list
of places.

Someone I know has suggested MS Access.

Specifically this is what I would like to accomplish

Eg.
key:

AA 1
BB 2
CC 3

Other list

1 2 hello
2 1 bye
3 1 byehello
3 2 hellobye

the final step would want to look like

AA BB hello
BB AA bye
CC AA byehello
CC BB hellobye

And eventually I would make an excel formula to the effect of =A1&A2&A3

Sorry for the longwindedness, any suggestions or directions are appreciated.

Toppers

Data matching

First list (key) in A1 to B3

Second list in A6 to B9

Final list in A12 to C15:

A12: =INDEX($A$1:$A$3,MATCH(A6,$B$1:$B$3,0))
B12:= =INDEX($A$1:$A$3,MATCH(B6,$B$1:$B$3,0))
C12: =C6

Copy these down

HTH