-   -   Standard deviation of specific cells in a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/137790-standard-deviation-specific-cells-column.html)

Schwartz

Standard deviation of specific cells in a column

Hi there,

Actually it's a more general question, but in this concrete situation i
would like help with the standard deviation function. The situation is as
follows;

I have two (2) columns, one with some characteristics and one with values.
Now I want to use the stdev function, but only on the values that fulfills
the criterias.

Fx would I like the standard deviation of only the 'a'-marked part of the
array (here it would give me 0.10)

a 1.5
b 1.4
c 1.4
a 1.6
a 1.4

Hope to hear from someone soon

Regards Brian

Domenic

Standard deviation of specific cells in a column

Try the following formula, which needs to be confirmed with
CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...

=STDEV(IF($A$1:$A$5="a",$B$1:$B$5))

Hope this helps!