-   -   Pasted HTML Table Data Won't Convert From Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/137251-pasted-html-table-data-wont-convert-text.html)

Eric

Pasted HTML Table Data Won't Convert From Text

When copying a table from a webpage, the numeric data pastes into Excel as
text. Normally, I can easily convert "text digits" by simply clicking in each
cell (as if to edit) or doing a search/replace, looking for one character (a
common digit, decimal point) and replacing it with the same. That method
isn't working with the HTML-originated data, which refuses to convert itself
unless it's re-typed.

What is it about this data type that makes it so stubborn?

TIA

Ron Coderre

Pasted HTML Table Data Won't Convert From Text

It's common for ranges pasted from web pages to contain HTML non-breaking
spaces.

Try this to remove them:
Select the range of "numbers"
<Edit<Replace
Find What: [Alt]+0160 <-Hold down [Alt]€¦type 0160€¦release [Alt]
Replace with: (leave this blank)
Click [Replace All]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Eric" wrote:

When copying a table from a webpage, the numeric data pastes into Excel as
text. Normally, I can easily convert "text digits" by simply clicking in each
cell (as if to edit) or doing a search/replace, looking for one character (a
common digit, decimal point) and replacing it with the same. That method
isn't working with the HTML-originated data, which refuses to convert itself
unless it's re-typed.

What is it about this data type that makes it so stubborn?

TIA

Eric

Pasted HTML Table Data Won't Convert From Text

I just discovered the spaces before seeing your answer, and wondered why they
were invulnerable to automatic deletion with a find/replace command.
Thanks,works like a charm!