-   -   How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/136871-how-do-i-display-message-when-cell-has-certain-value.html)

[email protected]

How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value??

Hi,

I have a cell where if the cell is empty (A1=0), then I would like the
cell to display "Enter your value here." Otherwise, I would like the
cell to display the value a person enters.

I have tried using an if/then/else statement and, understandably, I
get a circular reference error:

=IF(A1=0,"Enter your value here",A1)

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Pete_UK

How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value??

You would need some VBA code to do this. However, you could put this
formula in B1:

=IF(A1="","<--- Enter your value here","")

which is pointing out to the User that the value should go into A1
(the message disappears when there is something in A1).

Or you could think about using Data | Validation on cell A1, with an
Input Message which shows when A1 is selected. This would also allow
you to restrict what is entered into A1.

Hope this helps.

On Mar 28, 3:33 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a cell where if the cell is empty (A1=0), then I would like the
cell to display "Enter your value here." Otherwise, I would like the
cell to display the value a person enters.

I have tried using an if/then/else statement and, understandably, I
get a circular reference error:

=IF(A1=0,"Enter your value here",A1)

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Lori

How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value??

Maybe with a custom number format e.g.:

General;General;"Enter your value here"

On 28 Mar, 15:33, wrote:
Hi,

I have a cell where if the cell is empty (A1=0), then I would like the
cell to display "Enter your value here." Otherwise, I would like the
cell to display the value a person enters.

I have tried using an if/then/else statement and, understandably, I
get a circular reference error:

=IF(A1=0,"Enter your value here",A1)

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

[email protected]

How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value??

Thanks, Pete. I'm using your suggestion.

[email protected]

How do I display a message when a cell has a certain value??

I'm sorry Lori, I don't think I understand what you mean.
What should I enter in the 'General' field??

General;General;"Enter your value here"