Dave Peterson

HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX - Help with the Right Solution!

You may want to look at:

#1. Sorting your data
Then applying data|subtotals

#2. Learning about data|pivottables
If you've never use pivottables, here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

#3. Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

Michael wrote:

I need to understand the HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX fucntions in
Excel 2007 and while I consider myself a fairly intelligent man I cannot get
the solution I need.

I'm trying to summarize hours worked at my company by day and by department.
To input the data I have the dates across the top and the department numbers
down the left side.

I need to have a summary table where the dates are down the left and the
department numbers are on the top.

I will be online on MSN Messenger at if you don't mind
helping a stranger with a career limiting problem.

--

Dave Peterson