-   -   automatic = sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/135780-automatic-%3D-sign.html)

JButler

automatic = sign

I have a worksheet that automatically places an = sign before numbers. For
example, if I enter "12/1/2006" to the date, excel changes this to
"=12/1/2006", does the division and I get a number that is very small and
when formated as a date appears as 1/1/1900. I know how dates work and why
this is happening, so what I want to know is how to make excel stop entering
the = sign. This only happens on one particular workbook and all other
workbooks are not affected.

Gord Dibben

automatic = sign

ToolsOptionsTransition.

Uncheck all the Transition checkboxes.

Those are for ex-Lotus users and have no function in Excel except to make life
miserable by creating problems as you describe.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP