-   -   Create initials from Full name (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/135748-create-initials-full-name.html)

Charlotte Howard

Create initials from Full name

Hi, I have data that holds Surname in Column A and First_Name in Column B,
and I would like to return initials in Column C - so 'Betty Anne' becomes 'B
A' etc.
As you can see from some sample data below, not all entries have more than
one name, some have names & initials - I just need to be able to do a
mailshot to 'B A Neill' etc.
Thanks for any help,
Charlotte

SURNAME FIRST_NAME
NEILL BETTY ANNE
MOLLAN PATRICIA A F
QUIGLEY MARLYN
MAYES ELIZABETH ANNIE ELEANOR

Mike

Create initials from Full name

This works for 2 initials if they are seperated by a space or 2 names which i
guess wiould always be seperated bay a space. With the 2 forenames or
initials in B1 try

=UPPER(LEFT(B1,1)&" "&MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1&" ")+1,1))

Mike

"Charlotte Howard" wrote:

Hi, I have data that holds Surname in Column A and First_Name in Column B,
and I would like to return initials in Column C - so 'Betty Anne' becomes 'B
A' etc.
As you can see from some sample data below, not all entries have more than
one name, some have names & initials - I just need to be able to do a
mailshot to 'B A Neill' etc.
Thanks for any help,
Charlotte

SURNAME FIRST_NAME
NEILL BETTY ANNE
MOLLAN PATRICIA A F
QUIGLEY MARLYN
MAYES ELIZABETH ANNIE ELEANOR

Charlotte Howard

Create initials from Full name

Hi Mike, that should work.

I thought about it a little more, and used text to columns, then Left, then
concatenate - very cumbersome!

I'll try your solution for the next lot of addresses

Charlotte

"Charlotte Howard" wrote:

Hi, I have data that holds Surname in Column A and First_Name in Column B,
and I would like to return initials in Column C - so 'Betty Anne' becomes 'B
A' etc.
As you can see from some sample data below, not all entries have more than
one name, some have names & initials - I just need to be able to do a
mailshot to 'B A Neill' etc.
Thanks for any help,
Charlotte

SURNAME FIRST_NAME
NEILL BETTY ANNE
MOLLAN PATRICIA A F
QUIGLEY MARLYN
MAYES ELIZABETH ANNIE ELEANOR

Mladen_Dj

Create initials from Full name

and this formula works for 3 names or initials, guess you will not
need mo

=TRIM(LEFT(B2;1)&" "&IF(ISERROR(MID(B2;FIND("
";B2;1)+1;1));"";MID(B2;FIND(" ";B2;1)+1;1))&"
"&IF(ISERROR((MID(B2;LEN(FIND(" ";B2;1)+1)-1;1)));"";MID(B2;LEN(FIND("
";B2;1)+1)-1;1))&" "&A2)

Maybe you will need to change all coma-points to comas depending on
your regional settings.

regards
--
Mladen
http://excelancije.bloger.hr

"Charlotte Howard" wrote:
Hi, I have data that holds Surname in Column A and First_Name in Column B,
and I would like to return initials in Column C - so 'Betty Anne' becomes 'B
A' etc.
As you can see from some sample data below, not all entries have more than
one name, some have names & initials - I just need to be able to do a
mailshot to 'B A Neill' etc.
Thanks for any help,
Charlotte

SURNAME FIRST_NAME
NEILL BETTY ANNE
MOLLAN PATRICIA A F
QUIGLEY MARLYN
MAYES ELIZABETH ANNIE ELEANOR- Hide quoted text -