-   -   Index/Match to look up a value in one workbook and insert it into. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/13487-index-match-look-up-value-one-workbook-insert-into.html)

Jean Marie

Index/Match to look up a value in one workbook and insert it into.

I need to be able to look up a value in a range on one Excel workbook using a
code in another workbook. Can I use Index/Match for this function; looking
for the value in one workbook and inserting it into another workbook?
Currently, I use Vlookup, which is cumbersom and awkward and prone to error.

Thank you.

Dave Peterson

You can use =index(match()), but I think you may have as much trouble with that
as you have with =vlookup().

You may want to look at the formula tips that Debra Dalgleish shares:
and

Maybe it'll help.

--

Dave Peterson