-   -   Needing help sort sermons in order of books of the Bible-not alpha (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/133978-needing-help-sort-sermons-order-books-bible-not-alpha.html)

Soft_vllyballmom

Needing help sort sermons in order of books of the Bible-not alpha

I am fairly new to Excel - have v.2003. I have a list of sermons that I can
sort alpha, but would like to sort them by book of the Bible-starting with
Genesis. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soft_vllyballmom

Needing help sort sermons in order of books of the Bible-not a

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

One way would be to create a table somewhere in your worksheet. In the first
column type the name of the books in the order you want them sorted, in the
next column type the numbers from 1 to 66. Now you can use a vlookup formula
to insert the numbers from the table into a blank column. So let's say your
bible reference column in C then you would use something like this:

=VLOOKUP(C1,$F$1:$F$66,2,0)
where $F$1:$F$66 is the newly created table.(adjust to suit).......copy all
the way down to the last sermon.

Sort by the new number column first then the sermon coumn.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Soft_vllyballmom" wrote:

Each sermon has the sermon title in one column, the Bible reference in the
next column, and the series title in the next one. There are 66 books -
Genesis to Revelation. We can sort by Alpha for Title and/or Book, but not by
Books in order. A 4-file cabinet holds all the sermons, but want references
in computer for easier finding. I hope this information helps. Thank you.

"pinmaster" wrote:

Hi,

Is there something in the sermon that identifies it as belonging to a
specific book? Or a column with the book name? How many books are there?
Please give more details.

Regards!
Jean-Guy

"Soft_vllyballmom" wrote:

I am fairly new to Excel - have v.2003. I have a list of sermons that I can
sort alpha, but would like to sort them by book of the Bible-starting with
Genesis. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bj

Needing help sort sermons in order of books of the Bible-not alpha

go to <tools.<options<custom lists and make a custom list of the books of
the bible in order