-   -   column width (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/133957-column-width.html)

newyorkjoy

column width

I have a spreadsheets with many columns. since the columns are too wide, I
am changing the column width to 4. Everything seemed to be OK, but now it
doesn't let me do it. It says "cannot shift objects off sheet" I have many
empty columns at the end of the sheet, and when I tried deleting them,
nothing happened.
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

kurtech via OfficeKB.com

column width

newyorkjoy wrote:
I have a spreadsheets with many columns. since the columns are too wide, I
am changing the column width to 4. Everything seemed to be OK, but now it
doesn't let me do it. It says "cannot shift objects off sheet" I have many
empty columns at the end of the sheet, and when I tried deleting them,
nothing happened.

Have you tried reselecting your print area?

Dave Peterson

column width

Maybe...

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-ca;211769

Remember to look for comments and merged cells.

newyorkjoy wrote:

I have a spreadsheets with many columns. since the columns are too wide, I
am changing the column width to 4. Everything seemed to be OK, but now it
doesn't let me do it. It says "cannot shift objects off sheet" I have many
empty columns at the end of the sheet, and when I tried deleting them,
nothing happened.
--
newyorkjoy
thanks for the help!

--

Dave Peterson

hazel

column width

If you have any cell formatting in the "empty" cells, Excel will see those
and count those cells. Example: If you added a border around each cell, but
didn't hilite the area you wanted borders on, it will "see" borders even in
the blank cells.
--
Hazel