-   -   Copy data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/133594-copy-data.html)

NH

Copy data

Please help if you know how to copy data from previous cell. For example, I
only have column A and column B. But I would like to have the person name on
every row. Expected result is in column C. See example below...

Col A Col B Col C (Expected Result)
John apple John
orange John
kiwi John
Mary grape Mary
banana Mary
apple Mary

Gary''s Student

Copy data

Let's make a column C and then paste/special/value back onto column A

In C1 enter:
=A1

In C2 enter:
=IF(A2="",C1,A2)
and copy down

Then take column C, copy it, and then paste/special/value back onto column A
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"NH" wrote:

Please help if you know how to copy data from previous cell. For example, I
only have column A and column B. But I would like to have the person name on
every row. Expected result is in column C. See example below...

Col A Col B Col C (Expected Result)
John apple John
orange John
kiwi John
Mary grape Mary
banana Mary
apple Mary

Gord Dibben

Copy data

Why bother with Column C?

You can copy the names in column A to the row below.

Select column A and F5SpecialBlanksOK

In active cell type = then point or up arrow to cell above.

Hit CTRL + ENTER

Copy column A and in place Paste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

If you want to keep column A as is just copy it to column C and perform the
above steps on column C.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP