-   -   ALT+ENTER no longer works (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/133469-alt-enter-no-longer-works.html)

Dale

ALT+ENTER no longer works

I am having the problem that ALT+ENTER does not insert a within-cell line
break as it should. It seems to be consistently missing across all
spreadsheets, and has been that way for some time, apparently irrespective of
cell formatting. Is there a way of re-setting the ALT+ENTER shortcut command
to function as it should? I can find work-arounds, but they are tedious
(e.g. use something like ;; and then do a search and replace with ALT+0010)
and they don't work if I have to demonstrate worksheets live.

Gord Dibben

ALT+ENTER no longer works

Dale

Have you tried another keyboard?

How about other shortcuts using the ALT key like ALT + f to open the File Menu?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:26:29 -0800, Dale wrote:

I am having the problem that ALT+ENTER does not insert a within-cell line
break as it should. It seems to be consistently missing across all
spreadsheets, and has been that way for some time, apparently irrespective of
cell formatting. Is there a way of re-setting the ALT+ENTER shortcut command
to function as it should? I can find work-arounds, but they are tedious
(e.g. use something like ;; and then do a search and replace with ALT+0010)
and they don't work if I have to demonstrate worksheets live.

joeu2004

ALT+ENTER no longer works

On Mar 5, 5:26 pm, Dale wrote:
I am having the problem that ALT+ENTER does not insert a within-cell line
break as it should. It seems to be consistently missing across all
spreadsheets, and has been that way for some time, apparently irrespective of
cell formatting.

Are you sure that alt-Enter is not working from the keyboard? Or are
you saying that cells in which you had done alt-Enter no longer seem
obey the forced line break?

If the latter, two possible actions might help. First, select the
cell and press F2. Second, select the cell, go to Format - Cells -
Alignment and put a check-mark in Wrap Text.

I often encounter the situation where Excel seems to ignore the alt-
Enter character
(LF) that is clearly visible in the cell as a box character. I don't
know why that happens. But asserting Wrap Text fixes the problem
forever.