-   -   Cursor Keys does not change cell focus (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/13264-cursor-keys-does-not-change-cell-focus.html)

Skypilot

Cursor Keys does not change cell focus

I use passwords to protect worksheets (leaving cells unprotected in
which data is to be entered) and so I do not forget the password, I
write the password in the last row of the last column (IV65536) then I
protect the sheet.

When the sheet is protected I then cannot use the cusor keys or rather
the up/down/left/right arrow keys do not move the cell focus to the
next cell of the unprotected cells. I can mouse click on the cell but
that is a pain and I should be able to use the cursor keys. If I then
delete the data in the last column/row I am still stuck with the
problem. Is this an undocumented feature of excel??????

On other spreadsheets I have protected without using the last
column/row the cursor keys work fine.

--
Skypilot
Skypilot's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19946

peterm

I think you have to move about with the tab key oncethe sheet is protected
it will go to the next cell to take data
peter

"Skypilot" wrote:

[...]

Peter,

Thanks but that is not the case - in other protected sheets I can use
the cursor keys to move between cells - the TAB key does not move
between the cells either - the only way is is to use the mouse to
select the unlocked cells. I think the significant factor is that I
have placed data at some stage in the last cell of the last row in the
last column. Try it - open a new spreadsheet select some cells then
format cells/protection and untick LOCKED - go to AV65536 and put in
some data then protect sheet - now try and move around the unlocked
cells with the cursor keys or the tab keys. do the same on a new sheet
except do not put data in AV65536 - protect sheet and you can move
around with cursor and TAB keys.

--
Skypilot
Skypilot's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19946
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=345710

peterm

Sorry for the delay, I picked a group of cells unticked locked , put info in
my last cell
IV65536 protected the sheet and can move around with arrow keys. What excel
are you using 97 2000 or xp?