Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default clear all zero-length strings from spreadsheet?

Hi, I want a quick way of clearing all zero-length strings from a spreadsheet

I tried using Find & Replace

Find: ""
Replace: (left blank)

But it put zeroes in instead of actuall deleting all contents.

??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not for me !

So you must have some sort of custom format on the cell

Steve

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:11:06 -0000, Matt D Francis
wrote:

Hi, I want a quick way of clearing all zero-length strings from a
spreadsheet

I tried using Find & Replace

Find: ""
Replace: (left blank)

But it put zeroes in instead of actuall deleting all contents.

??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Strange. They're just "General" as far as I know, I can't replicate it now
anyway!

Try this in a new sheet, formatted "General"

Column A

Value
1
1
=""
=""
(leave blank)
(leave blank)

Column B

Num
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

Now select A1:C9 and sort (with header row) on Value. You should get

value num
1 1
1 2
5
6
a 3
a 4
7
8

Rows 5 & 6 , although appearing blank jump up the sort order to appear after
numbers but before text, whereas the true blanks are left to the end.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Copy, Paste Special Values, doesn't help

Find "", replace (blank) says value not found.

???????

Any suggestions?

wrote:

Hi, I want a quick way of clearing all zero-length strings from a
spreadsheet

I tried using Find & Replace

Find: ""
Replace: (left blank)

But it put zeroes in instead of actuall deleting all contents.

??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have zero length strings in cells that are returned by formulae, then
to remove them enter and run:

Sub clear_nothing()
For Each r In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormu las)
If Len(r.Value) = 0 Then
r.Clear
End If
Next