-   -   Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of ano (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/131274-count-no-nonblank-cells-one-column-based-criteria-ano.html)

Beach Lover

Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of ano

I need to count the number of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria
from cells in another column. Example: Column A contains years 2006, 2007,
2008. Column B contains rank such as Lt., Col., etc. I need to know the
total number of 2006 individuals who have the rank of Lt., the number of 2006
individuals who have the rank of Col., etc.

I can get the count of non-blank cells but cannot figure out how to have it
look at the other column for the type of count I need.

Bob Phillips

Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of ano

=sumproduct(--($A$2:$A$200=2006),--($B$2:$B$200="Lt")

etc.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Beach Lover" wrote in message
I need to count the number of nonblank cells in one column based on
criteria
from cells in another column. Example: Column A contains years 2006,
2007,
2008. Column B contains rank such as Lt., Col., etc. I need to know the
total number of 2006 individuals who have the rank of Lt., the number of
2006
individuals who have the rank of Col., etc.

I can get the count of non-blank cells but cannot figure out how to have
it
look at the other column for the type of count I need.

Mike

Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of ano

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A12=2006)*(B1:B12="Lt"))

Will return the number of Lt for 2006. The formula can be copied and pasted
into other cells to return for example 2007 - Col

"Beach Lover" wrote:

I need to count the number of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria
from cells in another column. Example: Column A contains years 2006, 2007,
2008. Column B contains rank such as Lt., Col., etc. I need to know the
total number of 2006 individuals who have the rank of Lt., the number of 2006
individuals who have the rank of Col., etc.

I can get the count of non-blank cells but cannot figure out how to have it
look at the other column for the type of count I need.

Beach Lover

Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of

This worked great! Thank you so much!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Forgot to ask.....how would you search HELP and get this information?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

An excellent turorial on sumproduct

"Beach Lover" wrote:

I need to count the number of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria
from cells in another column. Example: Column A contains years 2006, 2007,
2008. Column B contains rank such as Lt., Col., etc. I need to know the
total number of 2006 individuals who have the rank of Lt., the number of 2006
individuals who have the rank of Col., etc.

I can get the count of non-blank cells but cannot figure out how to have it
look at the other column for the type of count I need.

Tom Ogilvy

Count no. of nonblank cells in one column based on criteria of

Help doesn't have that information.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

So how would I find this information? Other than the way I found it by using
the discussion group? I am not a programmer but like to be able to find
answers for myself, if possible.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. I just wish I understood the language a little better!

See http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--
---

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=sumproduct(--($A$2:$A$200=2006),--($B$2:$B$200="Lt")

etc.

--
---
HTH