Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count Part Numbers

I would like to know how many part numbers I have.
I have taken all the computers I have listed in a Visio document (2007) and
exported to an Excel 2007 report and now I have a listing of all the systems
in my organization and I would like to know how many part number (xyz) I have.
I know I have done something like this before with someone's help or did by
accident.

What the result looks like is a relisting of the part numbers organized
possibly in a new tab. It told me Part X and said this is listed 2 times and
shows the two part number lines. Then has a line break and then lists Part Y
and the 23 times it showed and the 23 lines.

My output goal is to give 40 new systems to other people as we are getting
new ones in and I want to roll them down to those who have the oldest systems
and then move up as others are available.

If that helps.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Matt,

Chip Pearson has a section on counting unique entries.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Matt Carter" .(doNOTspam) wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that the data is in A1:An

In H1, add

=A1

In H2, add this formula and copy down

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(H$1:H1,$A$1:$A$20&""), 0)),"",
INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($A$1:$A$20),"",$A$1:$A$20),MATCH( 0,COUNTIF(H$1:H1,$A$1:$A$20&""),0)))

this is an array formula, so commut with Ctl-Shift-Enter, not just Enter

On I1 add this formula, and copy down

=COUNTIF(A:A,H1)

--
---