-   -   Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/131103-negative-percentage-parenthesis-instead-sign.html)

silversun62280

Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign

How do you format a negative percentage to look like (5.2%) instead of -5.2%
without formatting it as text. We need to be able to use it in a formula and
when you format a number as text you cannot use it in a formula. Thanks!

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign

To format a negative percentage to appear in parentheses instead of with a minus sign in Excel:
  1. Select the cell or range of cells that you want to format.
  2. Right-click on the selection and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select the "Custom" category.
  4. In the "Type" field, enter the following custom number format:
    Formula:

    0.0%;(0.0%)

  5. Click "OK" to apply the format to the selected cells.

This custom number format will display positive percentages as usual (e.g. 5.2%), but negative percentages will be enclosed in parentheses (e.g. (5.2%)). You can use these formatted values in formulas just like any other numeric value.

David Biddulph

Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign

Format/ Custom:
0.0%;(0.0%)
--
David Biddulph

"silversun62280" wrote in message
How do you format a negative percentage to look like (5.2%) instead
of -5.2%
without formatting it as text. We need to be able to use it in a formula
and
when you format a number as text you cannot use it in a formula. Thanks!

Farhad

Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign

Hi,

Right click on the cell you want to format, choos format cells, choos the
number tab, choos custom, enter in the Type text box: 0.00%;(0.00%)

hope this will work for you
--
Farhad Hodjat

"silversun62280" wrote:

How do you format a negative percentage to look like (5.2%) instead of -5.2%
without formatting it as text. We need to be able to use it in a formula and
when you format a number as text you cannot use it in a formula. Thanks!

Dave Peterson

Negative Percentage in Parenthesis instead of with "-" sign

If you want to be able to choose that format via Format|Cells|Number tab|Number
category...

Excel picks this up from a windows setting:

Windows start button|control panel
regional and language options
regional options tab
click the customize button
currency tab
change the negative currency format to show ()'s.