-   -   How do I create a list in excel that contains external data? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/13071-how-do-i-create-list-excel-contains-external-data.html)

bill@bb

How do I create a list in excel that contains external data?

I have spreadsheets linked to external data sources but I also need to add
data to them. Whenever the data source is refreshed rows are correctly added
or deleted from the columns containing external data but not from the columns
containing my data. My rows end up not corresponding to the external data
rows. I thought designating the entire data range as alist might help but I
recieved an error that says you can't make a list that contains external
data. Any one have suggestions?

Debra Dalgleish

You could store the related data on a separate sheet. Then, on the
worksheet with the external data, use VLOOKUP formulas to return the
related date for each row.

There are VLOOKUP instructions and examples he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List