-   -   excel save file upon exit (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/129890-excel-save-file-upon-exit.html)

Sarah

excel save file upon exit

What causes excel to prompt to save a file upon exit. I have made no changes
and the file has no external links.

Gord Dibben

excel save file upon exit

Sarah

If the workbook you opened was created in an earlier version of Excel you will
get the "save changes" message.

Save as 2003 version.

You will also get the message if you have used any volatile function(s) in your
workbook.

Could be a NOW() or TODAY()

List of volatile functions........

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these would cause the workbook changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:08:00 -0800, Sarah
wrote:

What causes excel to prompt to save a file upon exit. I have made no changes
and the file has no external links.

Sarah

excel save file upon exit

Thank you so much. That was it!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Sarah

If the workbook you opened was created in an earlier version of Excel you will
get the "save changes" message.

Save as 2003 version.

You will also get the message if you have used any volatile function(s) in your
workbook.

Could be a NOW() or TODAY()

List of volatile functions........