-   -   Prevent formula reference from changing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/129740-prevent-formula-reference-changing.html)

ScottyC

Prevent formula reference from changing

Hi,
=countif(sheet1!"$b$2;$b$500,"=aprv")

On this formula, I need to stop the$b$2 reference from automatically
changing when I insert a column before the B column (ie; no matter how many
columns are inserted, I want whatever ends up in the B column to be the focus
of the countif function.

Either that, or is there just a simple way to have the formula look at the
entire worksheet and pull those values out (as they will be unique)?

Thanks

T. Valko

Prevent formula reference from changing

Try this:

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("Sheet1!B2:B500"),"aprv")

This will always refer to Sheet1B2:B500

Biff

"ScottyC" wrote in message
=countif(sheet1!"$b$2;$b$500,"=aprv")

On this formula, I need to stop the$b$2 reference from automatically
changing when I insert a column before the B column (ie; no matter how
many
columns are inserted, I want whatever ends up in the B column to be the
focus
of the countif function.

Either that, or is there just a simple way to have the formula look at the
entire worksheet and pull those values out (as they will be unique)?

Thanks

ScottyC

Prevent formula reference from changing

Thanks, Bif, you're wonderful!

"ScottyC" wrote:

Hi,
=countif(sheet1!"$b$2;$b$500,"=aprv")

On this formula, I need to stop the$b$2 reference from automatically
changing when I insert a column before the B column (ie; no matter how many
columns are inserted, I want whatever ends up in the B column to be the focus
of the countif function.

Either that, or is there just a simple way to have the formula look at the
entire worksheet and pull those values out (as they will be unique)?

Thanks

T. Valko

Prevent formula reference from changing

Biff