-   -   Reduction Fractions to LCD (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/129670-reduction-fractions-lcd.html)

chad

Reduction Fractions to LCD

I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

David Biddulph

Reduction Fractions to LCD

You could format in fractions with up to one or two or three digits, rather
than in 1/8 increments.
--
David Biddulph

"Chad" wrote in message
I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead
of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

pinmaster

Reduction Fractions to LCD

Hi,

Have you tried a custom format: # 0/0

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Chad" wrote:

I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

chad

Reduction Fractions to LCD

that is an option. i would like for it to read a little differently. maybe
I should ask this question in a different way: I would like the end result to
read no smaller than 1/8th increments, and if it needs to be reduced to the
LCD, some formula or formatting is performed automatically. for instance, if
i have a value of 51.3333, this value rounds to the nearest 1/8th increment
of 51 3/8; however, if I use this custom formatting of # 0/0, then that gives
me 51 1/3 (which is indeed correct). all i want to do is reduce frations if
they are not already in the lowest common denominator. for example, 14.5
shown as 14 1/2, not as 14 4/8 and leave 51.3333 as 51 3/8. thanks and i
appreciate any additional help you can provide.

"Chad" wrote:

I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

john the confused

Reduction Fractions to LCD

try putting =MROUND(51.333,0.125) and then formatting it to upto 1 digit (the
1/4 format).
--
John
MOS Master Instructor

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Chad" wrote:

I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

Ron Rosenfeld

Reduction Fractions to LCD

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:16:20 -0800, Chad wrote:

I've got a formula that I want to read in a fraction (i.e. 14 1/2 instead of
14.5). I've formatted the cells to read as a fraction in 1/8 increments.
The problem is I sometimes get things like 14 4/8, instead of the LCD and
being reduced to 14 1/2. Any suggestions on how to get around this and
display the lowest common denominator? Thanks.

-Chad

If you want to ROUND the cells to the nearest 1/8, and then display it as the
reduced fraction, then:

=ROUND(A1*8,0)/8

or

=ROUND(your_formula*8,0)/8

and format as fraction with up to one digit

# ?/?

--ron

chad

Reduction Fractions to LCD

this works perfectly! thank you so much.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:03:02 -0800, Chad wrote:

this works perfectly! thank you so much.

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron