-   -   Formula shows as text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/128998-formula-shows-text.html)

hilltop55

Formula shows as text

I have a spreadsheet that I inserted a formula =Trim(A2), after I typed this
and hit the enter key no formula appeard only the text. I had selected all
cells and formatted as text prior to using the formula. Do I have some
hidden characters or something that causes my formula from not showing?

--
Thanks for your help.

Dave F

Formula shows as text

If you format a cell as text and then enter a formula in the cell, your
formula is a text string, not a formula. Format as general.

Dave

"hilltop55" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I inserted a formula =Trim(A2), after I typed this
and hit the enter key no formula appeard only the text. I had selected all
cells and formatted as text prior to using the formula. Do I have some
hidden characters or something that causes my formula from not showing?

--
Thanks for your help.

Gord Dibben

Formula shows as text

Re-format to General then re-enter the formula.

By formatting to text your formula remains as text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP