-   -   Sort numeric range and insert gaps (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/128681-sort-numeric-range-insert-gaps.html)

[email protected]

Sort numeric range and insert gaps

I have a collection of sequential numbers in excel, I would like to
sort them and have any gaps represented by an empty cell.
EG:
1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9
<sorted with gaps
[1]
[ ]
[3]
[4]
[5]
[ ]
[ ]
[8]
[9]

I can't for the life of me find a way to do this. Is it possible? I
will need to do this often with different worksheets, i would rather
not have to create VB to do it, but if that's the only option...

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Teethless mama

Sort numeric range and insert gaps

Let's say:
A1:A6 =1,3,4,5,8,9
create a helper column B
B1 =1
B2 =2
select B1 & B2 and drag down to B9 (you will have 1,2,3,4,.....9)
in C1 =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$6,0)),B1,"")
copy down from C1 to C9

" wrote:

[...]

On Jan 31, 7:07 pm, Teethless mama
wrote:
Let's say:
A1:A6 =1,3,4,5,8,9
create a helper column B
B1 =1
B2 =2
select B1 & B2 and drag down to B9 (you will have 1,2,3,4,.....9)
in C1 =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$6,0)),B1,"")
copy down from C1 to C9

Very nice! Thank you for the help and the sample!
Have a good one,
Steve

PS: Great nickname, cracked me up ;)