-   -   Formula Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/128031-formula-question.html)

emgVA

Formula Question

Hi,

Please help with the following inquiry.

I have 1 spreadsheet with 2 separate workbooks. I want to use the value in
a cell from workbookA to be used in a cell in workbookB. Is this possible?

Also, I have 2 different spreadsheets. I want to use the value in
spreadsheetA to be used in spreadsheetB. Is this possible.

Thank you in advance for any help given
--
emgVA

SteveW

Formula Question

Ahhh, Terminology

First the answer is yes, just try
type = in first cell, then click on the second cell
doesn't matter where this second cell is
try same sheet, differetn sheet in same book, then a sheet in a different
book

Workbooks contains worksheets - typically Sheet1, Sheet2 etc

So not sure what you mean by spreadsheet with 2 workbooks,
but anyway as I said it works and will give you references similar to these

Book1, Sheet1 A1 refers to A1 in Sheet2 of same Workbook
=Sheet2!A1

Book2, Sheet1 A1 refers to A1 in Sheet1 of the first WorkBook
=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$1

The [Book1] will change to [filename.xls] when it is saved
and then to c:\path\[filename.xls]Sheet1!$a$1 when the first book is
closed.

Steve

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 03:48:00 -0000, emgVA
wrote:

Hi,

Please help with the following inquiry.

I have 1 spreadsheet with 2 separate workbooks. I want to use the value
in
a cell from workbookA to be used in a cell in workbookB. Is this
possible?

Also, I have 2 different spreadsheets. I want to use the value in
spreadsheetA to be used in spreadsheetB. Is this possible.

Thank you in advance for any help given

Dave Peterson

Formula Question

Another way.

Select the "sending" cell
edit|copy
Go to the "receiving" cell
edit|paste special|click paste Link.

But often times, you'll want to modify that formula.

='Sheet 99'!a1
will return a 0 if that cell is empty.

You could use:
=if('Sheet 99'!a1="","",'Sheet 99'!a1)

If it's empty, return something that looks blank. Else return the value.