-   -   how do I make an expandable list in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/127895-how-do-i-make-expandable-list-excel.html)

lizbgreen

how do I make an expandable list in Excel?

I'm creating a large spreadsheet that contains quite a bit on qualitative
information (a number of policy options for a number of states). I'd like to
be able to make certain categories of information into an
expandable/collapsible list, so that other users could choose how much
information to display at a time. Is there a way to do this?

pinmaster

how do I make an expandable list in Excel?

Hi,

I think what you need is either..... Data/Filter or Data/Group and Outline

have a look at those to see if that is what you want.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"lizbgreen" wrote:

I'm creating a large spreadsheet that contains quite a bit on qualitative
information (a number of policy options for a number of states). I'd like to
be able to make certain categories of information into an
expandable/collapsible list, so that other users could choose how much
information to display at a time. Is there a way to do this?

Danny C

how do I make an expandable list in Excel?

I'd try GROUPS
You must leave a blank column, however.
You highlight the section that you want to hide by using the ROW or COLUMN
selections (not cell selections).
Then: DATA - GROUP & OUTLINE - GROUP
This allows you to expand/collapse either rows or columns. Yes you can do
both and they can overlap.
You get a + or - at the top of the screen - This expands or contracts the
sections
This is better then "hiding" sections, as you have to highlight then un-hide
them.

I use it and it works fine.