-   -   & in headers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/127145-headers.html)

Dave F

& in headers

I understand that if you want "M&A" to appear in a header you have to enter
it as M&&A

What's the logic here? What would you be concatenating in the header (or
footer)?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Earl Kiosterud

& in headers

Dave,

The & symbol is a concatenation operator only in a formula. In a header,
it's just another text character. But since the various codes, such as
&[Page] all begin with that character, when Excel sees & in a header, it
thinks a code is on the way. It could have been smart enough to interpret a
single & as just that, an ampersand. But it isn't. We just have to
remember this as one of the Excel oddies, and put && when we want &. This
may be fixed in the year 2057, I'm told.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Dave F" wrote in message
I understand that if you want "M&A" to appear in a header you have to enter
it as M&&A

What's the logic here? What would you be concatenating in the header (or
footer)?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

JE McGimpsey

& in headers

The logic is that for headers and footers, '&' is an escape character,
not a concatenation operator.

For instance:

Printed at &[Time]

Will print the current time for &[Time]

In article ,
Dave F wrote:

I understand that if you want "M&A" to appear in a header you have to enter
it as M&&A

What's the logic here? What would you be concatenating in the header (or
footer)?

Dave F

& in headers

Thanks.