-   -   Numbering (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/126864-numbering.html)

John

Numbering

I have a listing of 16 digit numbers in Microsoft Word. (################)
that i need to put into Excel. When i copy it and paste into Excel it
converts the last number to a zero. Is there a way to make this not happen?
I have probably 300 cards to copy and paste

JE McGimpsey

Numbering

XL has a limit of 15 digits of precision. If these "cards" are, say,
credit card numbers, format the cells as Text before pasting.

In article ,
John wrote:

I have a listing of 16 digit numbers in Microsoft Word. (################)
that i need to put into Excel. When i copy it and paste into Excel it
converts the last number to a zero. Is there a way to make this not happen?
I have probably 300 cards to copy and paste

John

Numbering

But it gives me that scientic notation. I copied it from word and pasted
"special" into Excel and it gave me that error.

John wrote:

I have a listing of 16 digit numbers in Microsoft Word. (################)
that i need to put into Excel. When i copy it and paste into Excel it
converts the last number to a zero. Is there a way to make this not happen?
I have probably 300 cards to copy and paste

JE McGimpsey

Numbering

The scientific notation is just because the parser's interpreting it as
a number.

It works for me when I paste special as Text.

In article ,
John wrote:

But it gives me that scientic notation. I copied it from word and pasted
"special" into Excel and it gave me that error.

RagDyeR

Numbering

Guaranteed that you *didn't* follow John's instructions to format the cells
as TEXT ... *BEFORE* pasting!

RD

John wrote:

I have a listing of 16 digit numbers in Microsoft Word.