-   -   Populate field automatically (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/126490-populate-field-automatically.html)

TJAC

Populate field automatically

I have a spreadsheet that in one column will hold a person's name and in
another column it will hold their region number that the person is
responsible for. Once I type in the name, is it possible for Excel to
somehow look at the next tab for the number that corresponds with the name?
I would prefer to do this in Access, but my boss does not want it done that
way.

If someone could tell me if this can be done and help lead me in that
direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

Populate field automatically

If you type in the name and want to return the region associated with that name,
it sounds like you could use =vlookup() or =index(match()) to do the work.

Debra Dalgleish explains it:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

I'm not sure I understand how the next tab comes into play.

--

Dave Peterson