-   -   Export .csv file from another program into excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/126433-export-csv-file-another-program-into-excel.html)

dayoadebayo

Export .csv file from another program into excel

I want to export a .csv file from anther program into excel such that all
preceeding zeros in a number will still be reflected in the .csv file.
Example 00001 will still be 00001. I have already tried to create Book.xlt
and Sheet .xlt templates and placed them in the appropriate folders as much
as I know. Still when the program export the .csv file it still uses the
default microsoft workbook instead of my Book.xlt template.

Earl Kiosterud

Export .csv file from another program into excel

dayoadebayo,

You need to separate this, or you may go mad. First, export the csv file
from the other program. Make sure the zeroes are there. Open the file in
Notepad to see the exact characters that are in the file. Second, to import
the file into Excel, change the extension from .csv to .txt. That will
invoke the text import wizard when you open the file. Set that field to
text.

Alternatively, if the character count for this field is known and constant,
just format it (Format - Cells - Number tab - Custom) in Excel with
something like "00000"
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"dayoadebayo" wrote in message
I want to export a .csv file from anther program into excel such that all
preceeding zeros in a number will still be reflected in the .csv file.
Example 00001 will still be 00001. I have already tried to create Book.xlt
and Sheet .xlt templates and placed them in the appropriate folders as
much
as I know. Still when the program export the .csv file it still uses the
default microsoft workbook instead of my Book.xlt template.

dayoadebayo

Export .csv file from another program into excel

Earl,
My real problem is what do I do so that excel will certainly receive the
file and save the file making sure that the zeroes are there. They only
command on the program is to export the data as a .csv file. Then excel
receives and auto saves it.
Thanks for your response.