-   -   Adding values within multiply columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/126342-adding-values-within-multiply-columns.html)

Scott@CW

Adding values within multiply columns

I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns. In one columns A I have cost center
information. In Column B I have a A or L indicator. I want to add how many
times a certain groupings of cost centers appear with "A". It could be
anywhere from 1 to 7 cost centers per group. I have been using Sumproduct,
but it does not work in this case for me.

Sean Timmons

Adding values within multiply columns

Maybe a pivot table
cost center as rows
column b as columns
anything that shows in all rows as your data
right-click in the data section and field settings are count.

"Scott@CW" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns. In one columns A I have cost center
information. In Column B I have a A or L indicator. I want to add how many
times a certain groupings of cost centers appear with "A". It could be
anywhere from 1 to 7 cost centers per group. I have been using Sumproduct,
but it does not work in this case for me.

Sandy Mann

Adding values within multiply columns

Scott.

What do you mean by

I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns. In one columns A I have cost center
information.

What information?

and how are the cost centre grouped? By names? concatenated? by numbers?

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Scott@CW" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns. In one columns A I have cost center
information. In Column B I have a A or L indicator. I want to add how many
times a certain groupings of cost centers appear with "A". It could be
anywhere from 1 to 7 cost centers per group. I have been using Sumproduct,
but it does not work in this case for me.

Scott@CW

Adding values within multiply columns

Sorry about that here is a breakdown.Lets say column N has one of three
options (A, T, or LOA), then the column that has cost centers in it is just a
9 to 11 digit number. The groups are set on another workshhet that I need
filled out. I can use Countif with AND to get a total of teh cost centers but
it is when I add the condition of "A" in column N that everything gets
messed up.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Scott.

What do you mean by

"Scott@CW" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with 26 columns. In one columns A I have cost center
information. In Column B I have a A or L indicator. I want to add how many
times a certain groupings of cost centers appear with "A". It could be
anywhere from 1 to 7 cost centers per group. I have been using Sumproduct,
but it does not work in this case for me.

Sandy Mann

Adding values within multiply columns

Hi Scott,

You still do not say how the Cost Centres are grouped and you also say the
you ave tried SUMPRODUCT () but that it did not work.

If a cost centre is 123456789 what do you get when you try:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=123456789)*(N1:N100="A"))

or something similar
--
HTH

"Scott@CW" wrote in message
Sorry about that here is a breakdown.Lets say column N has one of three
options (A, T, or LOA), then the column that has cost centers in it is
just a
9 to 11 digit number. The groups are set on another workshhet that I need
filled out. I can use Countif with AND to get a total of teh cost centers
but
it is when I add the condition of "A" in column N that everything gets
messed up.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Scott.

What do you mean by