-   -   How do I protect formatting only? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/125589-how-do-i-protect-formatting-only.html)

ecav

How do I protect formatting only?

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

Eric

How do I protect formatting only?

Go to protect sheet and select the options you want to allow users to do.

"ecav" wrote:

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

ecav

How do I protect formatting only?

There's no option for "entering data." How do I allow users to enter data?

"ecav" wrote:

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

Eric

How do I protect formatting only?

The usual default is to allow users to Select both locked and unlocked cells.
By allowing those 2 options, users can select, add, or delete data without
being allowed to change the formatting of the sheet.

"ecav" wrote:

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

ecav

How do I protect formatting only?

Yes both of those options are selected and I still cannot add data to the
sheet. What am I missing?

"ecav" wrote:

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

Gord Dibben

How do I protect formatting only?

You are missing the fact that by default all cells are locked when you protect
the sheet.

Un protect the sheet.

CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select all cells.

FormatCellsProtectionUNcheck "Locked"

If you want only some cells unlocked, do not hit CTRL + a.......just select the
cells for unlocking and as above uncheck "locked".

Now re-protect the sheet with the options you want.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"ecav" wrote:

I'm trying to prevent the formatting from changing on a worksheet (Excel
2003) while still allowing users to enter data. Is this possible?

ecav

How do I protect formatting only?

That's it! Brilliant, thank you.