-   -   Sort feature (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/125166-sort-feature.html)

[email protected]

Sort feature

I have a column of names. I want to be able to sort that column from
smallest name to largest name. In other words, Al, sam, dave, brian, george,
michael....etc.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance,
Michael

CLR

Sort feature

In a helper column put this and copy down.....

=LEN(A1)

Then do copy PasteSpecial Values on that helper column.......

then sort on the helper column, ascending

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

" wrote:

I have a column of names. I want to be able to sort that column from
smallest name to largest name. In other words, Al, sam, dave, brian, george,
michael....etc.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance,
Michael

James Silverton

Sort feature

Hello, CLR!
You wrote on Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:31:01 -0800:

C =LEN(A1)

C Then do copy PasteSpecial Values on that helper
C column.......

C then sort on the helper column, ascending

It seems to work without the Paste Special complication :-)

C " wrote:

?? I have a column of names. I want to be able to sort that
?? column from smallest name to largest name. In other
?? words, Al, sam, dave, brian, george, michael....etc.
??
?? Can anyone help me?
??
?? Thank you in advance,
?? Michael
??

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

CLR

Sort feature

Cool......thanks for pointing that out.........I didn't check it, I just
don't like leaving formulas laying around.....<g

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3