-   -   Format millions in thousands with comma (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/125155-format-millions-thousands-comma.html)

Todd

Format millions in thousands with comma

I currently have the number (in general format)
20307710.83
but I want it to be
$20,308

I am currently using this as my format
_($* #,_);_($* (#,);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)
but that only results in
$20308

How do I add the comma?
Thanks in advance.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Format millions in thousands with comma

To format the number 20307710.83 as $20,308, you can use the following custom number format:

Formula:

$##,#0.0,

Here are the steps to apply this format:
  1. Select the cell(s) containing the number you want to format.
  2. Right-click and select "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select "Custom" from the Category list.
  4. In the Type field, enter the custom number format:
    Formula:

    $##,#0.0,

  5. Click "OK" to apply the format to the selected cell(s).

This format will display the number with a dollar sign, a comma separator for thousands, and one decimal place. The trailing comma will ensure that the number is always displayed with three digits for the thousands place, even if the number is less than 10,000.

Bob Phillips

Format millions in thousands with comma

_($* #,##0,_);_($* (#,##0,);_($* "-"??_);_(@_)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"todd" wrote in message
I currently have the number (in general format)
20307710.83
but I want it to be
$20,308

I am currently using this as my format