-   -   What exactly is a Macro? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/124617-what-exactly-macro.html)

mpaxson

What exactly is a Macro?

I am taking an online Keyboarding course and in an assessment I have to take
it asks about Macros, in reference to Excel. Can some one please explain to
me exactly what a Macro is? I gather it has something to do with security,
and I understand what characters are used in the names, but what exactly is a
Macro and what is it for?
Thank you.
Maryann Paxson

David Biddulph

What exactly is a Macro?

Hint for your assessment:

Go into Excel
Find the Help function [and remember this for later]
Enter "macro" into help
Lok at the list of topics there - "About macros" may be a good starting
point.

For the advanced course you could try to find Google, and into that put
"Excel macros".
Among the first things you'll find there are pages from respected
contibutors to this newsgroup, and also information from Microsoft, such as
David Biddulph

"mpaxson" wrote in message
I am taking an online Keyboarding course and in an assessment I have to
take
it asks about Macros, in reference to Excel. Can some one please explain
me exactly what a Macro is? I gather it has something to do with security,
and I understand what characters are used in the names, but what exactly
is a
Macro and what is it for?
Thank you.
Maryann Paxson

Dave F

What exactly is a Macro?

At its most basic a macro is a sequence of automated steps that you can
instruct Excel to iterate through, rather than having to manually go through
the steps.

For example, a simple macro could be written that would do the following:

1) Hide columns A:D
2) Hide rows 1:20
3) Set print range to be E21:F80
4) Print the document

So, the advantage to having this done via a macro as opposed to doing it
manually in Excel would be simply that the macro makes Excel do this stuff
automatically without additional input from the user.

But macros are a much broader subject than simply the example I give above.
If you're looking for more detail the best place to start would either be
Excel's help files, or a google search for Excel macros.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"mpaxson" wrote:

I am taking an online Keyboarding course and in an assessment I have to take
it asks about Macros, in reference to Excel. Can some one please explain to
me exactly what a Macro is? I gather it has something to do with security,
and I understand what characters are used in the names, but what exactly is a
Macro and what is it for?
Thank you.
Maryann Paxson

Gord Dibben

What exactly is a Macro?

Have a look at David McRitchie's "getting started with macros" pages.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP