-   -   How do I show a value for selected text from a dropdown list? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/124601-how-do-i-show-value-selected-text-dropdown-list.html)

Matt

How do I show a value for selected text from a dropdown list?

I want to be able to assign a value to each item in a dropdown list, and have
that value appear in another cell when item is selected.
Example:
Items in dropdown list (Cell A1):
boiler 1
boiler 2
boiler 3

boiler 1 is $2,000, boiler 2 is $3,000 and boiler 3 is $4,000
Cell A2 would display $ value of A1
if boiler 2 is selected from list in A1, A2 would show the value $3,000

thanks for your help,
Matt

T. Valko

How do I show a value for selected text from a dropdown list?

One way:

=IF(A1="","",1000+RIGHT(A1)*1000)

Biff

"matt" wrote in message
I want to be able to assign a value to each item in a dropdown list, and
have
that value appear in another cell when item is selected.
Example:
Items in dropdown list (Cell A1):
boiler 1
boiler 2
boiler 3

boiler 1 is $2,000, boiler 2 is $3,000 and boiler 3 is $4,000
Cell A2 would display $ value of A1
if boiler 2 is selected from list in A1, A2 would show the value $3,000

thanks for your help,
Matt

Ken Johnson

How do I show a value for selected text from a dropdown list?

Or, if the relationship between boiler number and required dollar
amount is not as simple as it is in the example given...

=VLOOKUP(A1,{"boiler 1",2000;"boiler 2",3000;"boiler 3",4000},2,FALSE)

Ken Johnson